Monday, June 4, 2012

The Strange World of the Internet

Confession: I have the somewhat unhealthy habit of checking Facebook most mornings while I drink my coffee. I say it's unhealthy because I know my time might be better spent simply sitting on the front porch, or reading a book, or...but I still do it. This morning, one of my friends had this long statement on privacy on there, with the warning that if people didn't re-post it at least once they were basically just allowing people to use their content and having NO PRIVACY. I posted back that I think we knowingly give up some of our privacy just by signing up and posting content, but I seem to be an oddball for thinking this. My stance is that it's the freaking internet and if you want privacy, don't post about private things. Is that weird? Am I expecting too little privacy? I don't know.

In the knitting world, I'm making some lace dishcloths for my cousin's house warming party that's this weekend. My mom and I are putting a gift basket together with those, some other kitchen items, and probably a candle. Candles just make a house feel warm. I'm also working to finish up a sweater that I started a few months ago. I fell in love with the pattern, bought the yarn, and knit feverishly on it until I got to the sleeves. There is just something about a sleeve that makes me feel like time has slowed to a crawl. I feel guilty for not finishing it and wearing it. The yarn is a wonderful superwash merino that deserves better.

In the education world, I have to do a pacing guide for 7th grade grammar and writing by the 15th of this month. This is seriously going to cut into my knitting and internet sacrificing of privacy (Facebook) time. Also, I need to do some work in our school's library because I never finished a book project I started. I decided to apply clear shipping tape to the new paperback books to hopefully extend their shelf life, but still have about 20 left to do. Busy, busy, busy.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you, if you are on Facebook, do not complain about privacy. If if you are concerned, then learn to use the privacy settings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was later proven by Snopes to be a false thing anyhow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a week off work and two days in I have managed to cramp up my hand with the crocheting. I have lofty plans to finish some projects before my return so I totally understand the sleeve procrastination. (I seem to be finding unfinished projects I forgot...they multiple in the cabinet, I'm sure of it.)

    ReplyDelete