Friday, August 13, 2010

Entitlement License

Yesterday afternoon was interesting. I was in the turning lane to go to Kroger for gas, and there was a car in front of me and two behind me. The car in front of me turned, and I almost did but I decided to wait because a car was coming. I probably did have time, but I err on the side of caution and don't like pulling out in front of people. Anyhow, the second car behind me pulls out of the turn lane, around me and the other car, and whips into Kroger. We were both getting gas, so I went to talk to her. I said, "Sorry I was so slow to turn, but if what you did had caused a wreck, it would have been bad for both of us."
"Well, you were just sitting there."
"That's because a car was coming."
"It was way on down. You had plenty of time."
"All I'm saying is that I'm glad we weren't in an accident."
"That wouldn't have happened because you weren't going anywhere. I could see that."
"I'm so glad you understand what I'm saying," I said sarcastically as I walked off.
Seriously? This woman couldn't wait an extra 30 seconds so she created her own driving rules? I was so irritated. And she was so bitchy about it as if to say who was I to call her out on this when I was obviously just in the way. Anyhow, I told my mom about it yesterday and this morning when I talked to her, she said I'm just like my dad because she wouldn't have said anything. I wasn't mean about it, so I think it was okay. I was telling a coworker about it today, and she said people just feel so entitled to do whatever they want for some reason. She said even if the woman had been spotted by a cop, she would've still blamed her actions on me. We teach our middle school kids to take responsibility for their actions, and here was a middle age woman who couldn't manage to do it. Oh well.

The rest of the evening was quite nice. Nathan took me out to eat Mexican food, and then I went knitting for a little while. I started a baby blanket for my friend and coworker Lisa. It's bright green and has a tight lace pattern. I found the pattern here www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/pine-forest-baby-blanket#. It will look like this when it's done.

Except mine is solid green and I used a size smaller needle that what the yarn called for, so the lace pattern isn't as open. My friend Diane said she worries about lace baby blankets because they could get their little fingers hung in the holes.

1 comment:

  1. I wouldn't have said anything to that driver, either. I'm proud of you for doing it even though she didn't get it. What's with these people anyway?

    That blanket will be pretty. Brian had some lacy blankets when he was a baby and didn't have any problems with his fingers. Mostly those are put on them when going out and not on them in the crib all the time.

    ReplyDelete