Sunday, August 15, 2010

Forgiven


I have been forgiven, and it came with tears and relief and smiles. Four years ago I did some selfish and stupid things. My ex-husband and I planned a wedding only to elope maybe a full week before it was to have happened. Some of my friends planned showers for me, and I left a friend out of them and then the wedding itself. I did not do these things on purpose but out of carelessness. She lived in Kentucky at the time, which isn't so far away but I didn't think she would come. I thought it wasn't a big deal. I was very much mistaken.

She was hurt and angry, rightfully so. We didn't talk after that. A couple years ago we "friended" each other on MySpace, but never actually exchanged comments. A couple of weeks ago, I got a friend request from her on Facebook which I accepted, and today she sent me a message with her phone number in it. She said she had been talking about me with someone and wondered what I was doing, and that I could call her. At first I was afraid to. I called her while Nathan was here for support, but she didn't answer. She sent me a text saying she was at work but got off at 2:30, and could she call me then? And she did.

We talked for about an hour as though our past had not happened, and in the end I told her I was surprised that she sent me that message. She said that she missed me and if I wanted to be friends again we could. She said she wasn't sure if I would, but assured her that I do. I was so happy about it I started crying on the phone and was a little embarrassed until she did too. We plan on starting fresh and I invited her to our Thursday knit-togethers at the yarn shop since she crochets. I will be a better friend this time. I will not be selfish and careless with something as fragile and as valuable as this "new" friendship.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome, true friends never really leave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think so too. Sometimes it feels like they have though.

    ReplyDelete