Sunday, November 28, 2010

Hoping for Others


One of our teachers had a massive heart attack over Thanksgiving break. He had 100% blockage in one place and 90% in another. He survived and should be getting a different room soon, and I think at that point we'll get the information to visit and send cards.

One of my knitting friend's has a brother who had a massive stroke Wednesday morning. They were in New Jersey at the time, and he's in Trenton at a really good hospital. They went into his brain and removed the clot, but he isn't stable enough to be moved. His speech and expression area was affected, but he has been able to say a couple of words. He also has existing heart trouble, which is making things even more difficult.

When I first started teaching in the county, I was an assistant soccer coach, and one of the girls who was a senior that year committed suicide Tuesday or Wednesday. She had a four year old daughter, and I feel so sad for her family. Especially her daughter. A four year old knows enough to ask, "Where's Mommy?" and I can not imagine being the person who has to respond.

I'm overwhelmed by how much happens to people, to families. It's hard anytime, but around the holidays it seems even worse, if that's possible. Thanksgiving will never just be Thanksgiving anymore for some because their loved ones passed away or had severe health problems. It will be a marker as time passes. Of course, if healing happens, then I guess next Thanksgiving will be that much more special, because of their recovery. I hope they do all have tremendous recoveries, and I hope that the girl's family will hold each other up.

3 comments:

  1. I didn't know about all of this. Suicide is so hard for those left behind who love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes you realize that every day needs to be lived.

    ReplyDelete