Sunday, July 10, 2011

So Good

Today I called my mom to tell her that we have an offer on our house. The family wants to lease it for a year, then purchase it at the listing price with the amount paid during the lease going toward the purchase amount. She went from being happy about that directly into giving me the advice to postpone my wedding for a year or two, until this business is settled. I told her that Nathan knows all about the house and that it's not a problem. She then went on to say that she just wishes I wasn't getting into this again, that she wishes I still had my own little apartment and the freedom.

I told her I have just as much freedom now as I would if that were the case. I walked into my hobby room and asked Nathan if when we get married, he will want me to stop knitting. He said no. I asked him if when we get married, he'll want me to stop hanging out with my friends. He said no. I asked him if when we get married and I want to get a big tattoo on my butt if that's okay with him. He said yes. I reported all of this to my mother, whom I was still on the phone with.

She said she wasn't trying to tell me what to do, but she'd just leave things like they are. That plenty of people live together for ten or fifteen years without being married. I asked what the point of that is since seven years is a common law marriage. I then told her that I was going to get off the phone, cook breakfast, pretend the conversation never took place, and call her later in the evening. She said she didn't want me to be mad at her, and I told her I wasn't but I didn't like our conversation. I told her I'd call her later, and I did.

I called her around 6:00 this evening and we talked about how hot it is, about my in-service tomorrow...all the normal things. We are so good at pretending sometimes. I will pretend to not be troubled by her comments, and she'll pretend to not think I'm making a mistake.

2 comments: