Saturday, June 26, 2010

nests

My second floor apartment has a little back deck, and sometimes my dog Jeff and I go out there when it's not too hot. I've noticed there's a certain spot that he goes to and stares down at the neighbor's deck. He goes there and watches and scratches at the porch. I finally decided to see what was down there, so I got on my hands and knees and peered through the slats, and I saw a robin's nest. I could only see one egg, but it's beautiful. It's my favorite shade of blue. I would probably look at the nest more too, now; however, this requires me to crouch down with my ass in the air, and I would hate to know what the neighbors would think! I'll just leave nest watching to Jeff.

I'm looking forward to wandering around today and looking at local art. Our town has the Firefly Festival today and tomorrow, and a former student of mine has some work in it. Last year I went, but I was a volunteer and it was miserably hot. So, while I got to see all the booths, I didn't really get to enjoy it like I will this year. I would like to find a nice little affordable piece that I could get for my nest. Maybe something with that robin's egg blue in it.


5 comments:

  1. I like this post and the images you described so well. Did you get anything at Firefly? I didn't make it there this year after almost having a heat stroke last year and hated to miss it. Maybe next year. I hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought a photo one of my former students had. It's taken at the bottom of a tree, looking up through it. The leaves are all nice and autumn colored and the sky is blue. I love fall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me, too. It's my favorite season. The photo sounds pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joy sent me here! I love the name Jeff for a dog. otoh, it is The Engineer's name so I doubt we'll ever get to name a dog Jeff ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks. I actually wanted to name him Rocky (he threw up the day after I got him and pebbles were part of it) but was vetoed.

    ReplyDelete