Monday, July 19, 2010

Home Again

We got back into town Saturday night and I slept better then than I had at almost any point during the trip. I say almost because I had a great fever nap on one of the days. . .I think it was Friday. Nothing major, just sinuses. I had a great time away. The hotel we stayed at was right on the beach, and the view from our deck was all sand and ocean. We all got along, which is surprising to me because it was his mom and step-dad, his three nieces, his nephew, he, and I in one hotel room. Now, it had two bedrooms and bathrooms, mind you, but it was still close quarters. I like his family and didn't expect to have any disagreements, but traveling had always been an issue in my previous relationship. In fact, our most hellacious arguments usually occurred when we were away from home or when we got back from somewhere. Looking back on that makes me sad because vacations should be happy times. And now they are.

Yesterday Nathan took me to my mom's because my car decided to die in the parking lot of a local coffee shop that I stopped at on the way. He was really sweet about it even though I woke him up to ask him to pick me up. The three of us had lunch together. My mom had cooked boiled corn, stewed squash, field peas, and bacon. Truly good, Southern cooking. I now fully believe my mom likes Nathan because she invited him to make a plate to take with him. I picked up Jeff, and she said he had done just fine. He and Gypsie, mom's dog, got along well after they adjusted to each other. I was relieved because Gypsie really dislikes other dogs.

Today I spent most of the day at the yarn shop. I loved being back there with my friends and all the yarn surrounding me. I'm working on a shawl which is mostly done in garter stitch, with some lace detailing on the bottom, and a row of loops. I don't like the loops, so I'm going to change it to picot and see how it goes. I think it will look better because the lace section had triangles, not circles. Patterns are just suggestions after all. Tomorrow our county is promoting a "Twenty on the Twentieth" to get us to spend money to help the economy. My twenty will be spent there on a new pair of needles, size 1. . .and maybe some sock yarn. I have enough yarn for the big projects I need to get done before the holidays, but you can never have too much sock yarn in the stash. I would have worked on a sock at the beach if I had brought my needles with me, but I only had my size 6 circulars. When I was discussing what to knit on the beach, one of my friends said I could do socks on the beach, which lead to a serious Beavis and Butthead moment. I actually still think it's funny. Heh, heh, heh, meh, heh.

2 comments:

  1. That meal does sound good, and yes it does seem that your mother likes Nathan. But then who doesn't? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had such a nice trip, that means a lot.

    ReplyDelete